Sunday 16 February 2014

Portfolio surgery with Matt Button


Matt Button from DSE.Digital LLP & Active Branding came in this week to do some portfolio surgeries. I took this opportunity to show someone from industry my work. I was pleased with my feedback as he seemed impressed with what he saw as he believed I had a good standard of work that could get me a job. The main thing he was impressed about was the quality of my presentation of work, which was great to hear, as I really enjoy photography and art direction.

Here are the main pieces of work that I showed him.

_______________________________________________________

Nada

Nada is no doubt my strongest piece of work so I showed it to him first. He was impressed with the project as there was a broad range of things that made the project a success for example the custom type face, pattern, photography and the packaging.

His main feedback would be to push it further and produce a advertising campaign for the product that could range from displays to bill boards. He also said this is my strongest piece of work and it should go at the beginning of my portfolio.






















Habits

Matt also enjoyed this project and believed it to be a good research project. He encouraged me to send it out to people as I could get some positive attention from it. He also highlighted that I must take this book along with me to an interview in physical form, as employers enjoy something physical to hold.
































Mind Mash

Matt again liked my use of colour and pattern design. He told me that designers who are skilled in these areas make a great impact on a studio as not all designers know how to use colour efficiently.


























Print Pro Manual

I went on to show him my print manual which proved to be again positive. He said it is important for young designers to understand print processes. He said I must take this book along with me to an interview in physical form, as employers enjoy something physical to hold.





























Feast

Matt enjoyed the concept of this project and believed it to be quite original. He said that these sorts of ideas could be great to keep hold of, especially for future opportunities. The likes of Jamie Oliver would be a great client to pitch to.

One piece of feedback would be to make the stock of paper more consistent as I have quite a bit of printed ephemera. For example the newspaper and booklet look odd when laid next to each other, I pointed this out to him and he said I could quite easily fix this problem on Photoshop.








Native symbols

This is quite an old piece of work now however I still feel proud of what I achieved therefore I showed Matt and we discussed how in many internships, young designers are given the task to produce icons. It is an important skill to have therefore I think it is work keeping in my portfolio.




BUKA

Finally I showed Matt BUKA as it was one of the only pieces of work that I had on my portfolio site that was for a client. He liked the mock up I produced below as his studio made something similar for a project they did for Trinity in Leeds. 











0 comments:

Post a Comment