Tuesday 20 September 2011

PPP 1 - Creative Practice. Why Am I Here - What Do I Want To Learn

Study Task 1 Why Am I Here - What Do I Want To Learn

Using the online resources that you have been introduced to in the module briefing and based on questions raised in the studio workshop and experiences of the first 2 weeks of the course:


Answer the following questions
Identify and explain 5 reasons why you chose to study on this programme.


1. I studied BTEC Graphic design for two years at ND level at New Stamford College. I really enjoyed the course and built up a passionate creative flair for the subject. I come from a creative background and since a early age I have been surrounded by the creative industry involving my parents work and interests. I think a creative career has always been my aim and from what I have already learnt from the past two years at college, I feel Graphic design is the right path for me.


Image from my final major exhibition


2. Secondly Leeds College Of Art has a big reputation and I felt that I wanted to be part of a small arts institute. When I looked round on the open day I was impressed with the amount of success that the BA Graphic Design course had achieved in the short space of time it had been running. I wanted to be part of that success. 




3. The course numbers was also a big reason why I wanted to be part of the programme. I did not want to just be a face in a crowd of 150 students. I feel that small groups and time for one to ones is the best way to learn and get feedback. 





4. The intensity of the course was an attraction too. I feel that students should be time tabled to be at uni for 4 - 5 days a week. I want to learn, meet new people and broaden my skills, I do not feel I could do that when time tabled to be in for only 2 - 3 days a week. The current economic climate is not in a good state and I want to get a good job at the end of the day that I feel passionate about.


5. The past work of graduates in the year books was also impressive when I first came to look round. The work was stuff that I was already interested in and it was at a high standard compared to other institutions. 






Identify and explain 5 things that you want to learn during your time on the programme.


1. I can get quite nervous when presenting my work to a group of people so I want to learn how to present myself and my work as a professional designer in a confident manner. I think being able to present confidently makes a good impression in the eyes of the client. 




2. In the past two years I have done a lot of digital design and I feel that I am lacking some practical knowledge and skills. I would love to experiment with screen printing and letter press because you then can appreciate how much effort goes into it, instead of just pressing the print button on the computer. 






3. I would like to learn how to build a professional website for myself to help me promote my portfolio. I attended a talk recently and a lot of clients ask for online portfolios instead of paper based print outs now because it is faster and cheaper.




4. I am not sure what I want to be when I graduate yet however I would like to learn how to come up with new concepts and off the wall ideas about advertising. This may come under a range of different mediums ranging from posters to packaging to viral adverts. 


Fiat: Traffic Signs - Drinking and driving can be tricky.


5. I would like to expand my knowledge on the Abobe software because today many studios and clients expect you to know how to use them. The software also give you that professional edge when it comes to the finish. 




Identify and explain 5 skills that you think are your strengths.


1. I think I am quite good at thinking skills that include exploring ideas that are outside of the box when tackling different briefs. I never want to go for the obvious or the easy option. This may make things harder and may take me more time to do but I like a challenge and I work hard.
This is a piece of design I have done that illustrates how I think and solve problems


2. I have a passion for photography since the age of 13. I have enjoyed going out taking photographs, as well as collecting vintage photos. Over the years I have built up a good photography portfolio and I have started exploring mixing this passion with my love for words and lyrics. I have also got into collage by layering images and type together to get interesting effects. I think by enjoying what I do creatively makes me stronger when using image and words. 
An example of one of my letters from my alphabet. I feel that I am strong 
when it comes to mixing words and imagery together.


3. I have started building the foundations of my knowledge of certain software. I have learnt a range of good basic skills, and a couple of years ago I discovered vector art using Adobe Illustrator. I have won a couple of competition briefs using vector design and this has made me feel stronger as designer.
My banner design for a environmental live brief


4. I also have a good basic understanding of typography and layout design. For my final major at college I decided to set myself the difficult task of designing my own magazine. I had to work hard to follow the rules of good typography and layout design but in the end I pulled it out of the bag. I had to stretch myself but by doing so I broadened my design skills.


My final major work


5. Finally I think I have good people skills and I can work as a team player. I think being able to communicate is an important skill to have when studying graphic design.


Identify and explain 5 things that you want to improve.
1. I want to improve my presentation skills because I can get quite nervous and I do not feel that confidence is my strongest point. 
2. I would like to improve on saving files in a professional manner because my computer can get very confusing and unorganised.
3. I would like to improve my knowledge of software, I find more difficult tasks in programs like Photoshop quite confusing. 
4. I would like to improve my knowledge on contextual areas such as the history of graphic design in more detail, as well as learn about a broad range of successful designers.
5. I would like to improve on my essay writing, crits and annotation skills. I also would like to learn how to reference my inspirations and sources in a more organised way. 

Identify and explain 5 ways that you will evaluate your progress.
1. I will ask my tutors and my peers for advice
2. I will use group crits to help evaluate my work
3. I will post my work online and ask for feedback
4. I will use my blog to reflect back and annotate my work

Identify 5 questions that you want to find the answer to.
1. How do you brand yourself as a designer who is just starting off in the world?
2. How do you build a successful portfolio?
3. How do you screen print?
4. How does a letter press work?
5. How do you use flash and dreamweaver? 










0 comments:

Post a Comment